Tuesday, September 20, 2011

the unexpected

Oh, how the days go by. The same until there not.

Recently, my sister visited some relatives we have been estranged from for some time while passing through Arizona on a road trip out West. During the visit, an Aunt that we haven't been in contact with for 20 years gave her a box filled with the writings of a relative that passed away almost 25 years ago.

I waited in anticipation for over 72 hours for a chance to talk with my sister. This waiting got me through one of the most stressful weeks I have ever experienced at my current job. I waited for her to find a quiet hour when she could recount in detail the conversations of an evening spent with the past.

And, it would seem the writings reflect the stories my Mother has already recounted to us as young children- at least those read to me aloud over the phone by my sister.

But, what is perhaps most interesting to me is the fact that a piece of history that I had compartmentalized and so easily packed away, could come tumbling back out without my own psychological doing. Lucky for me and my sister, my Mother had the foresight to deal with death and dying in such a healthy and honest way that my sister and I process these new artificats of time with a healthy dose of curiosity, rather than some longing to figure out a mystery that simply doesn't exist.

Thought of the Day: Keep writing- it's in your blood.

Thought of the Day:

1 comment:

  1. Peace be with you, and with your sister. You are surrounded by love.

    ReplyDelete