Saturday, April 16, 2011

blowing up expectations

Crap. It is Friday night, but technically Saturday morning and so once again, in what appears to be a very bad habit, I will not have made my "deadline" to post on this blog. Not only that, but I have no interest in writing about food (re: my Food Friday posts). Athough, I have developed a fondness for incorporating a full roasted garlic bulb into my evening dietary regime. As I have nothing more to add on the subject, I will leave it at that.

ahhh.. yes. Friday night and I am in my bed, in sweats with a tousled mane of blond ambition gone so terribly wrong, that I can't bring myself to care when I look in the mirror. I have already tried to remedy the situation at least once. I will spare you a picture on this blog, but my hair kinda resembles a cross between Mufasa and John Galliano. If I keep this up, I am sure to win a Halloween contest come Fall.
Have I set the scene sufficiently?...I'm kinda practicing. I hope this all sounds PG.

I finally finished Sloane Crosley's book,  I Was Told There'd Be Cake. I started the book two years ago and managed to pick it up a few times never making it past chapter 3- occasionally skimming ahead to see when/ if it got better.

Tonight I finished the entire book of presonal essays in one gluttonous sitting.  And, I think I found out what took me so long. Her essays are annoyingly LONG. Yet what made me eventually finish the book is that her writing style is on. I hungrily read her stories. She has been compared and touted as the next David Sedaris, and while I think the comparison is genuinely deserved, what she could have adequately captured in four or five pages, takes her ten or eleven.  

That said, I am anxious to read her next book, How Did You Get This Number, and see how she is developing as a writer. With pals such as poet Elizabeth Spiers, and a former career as a literary publicist in NYC, she has fans in high places and no doubt a successful career as a writer ahead. 

On a side note, I made a decision today about my day job. My eventual goal is to go part time and take some classes. It always takes me too long to see through my own cloud of delusion, imagining that somehow tomorrow will be better the present. It feels good to get past that. Another opportunity to be more truthful with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment