Monday, August 29, 2011

best friends

I am a woman of many acquaintances and very few good friends. I am content to be on the periphery, an observer- close to none.

Through the years I've observed that it is difficult to be close to people for years and years. People come and people go. Such is the ebb and flow. Even more so, it seems that with age comes a certain hesitancy- an unwillingness to open up- to let loose in the context of a good, solid friendship. Don't get me wrong, plenty of people will open up in all sorts of inapproprate ways if you let them. Like this one time...

Befriending people as a couple comes with it's own set of challenges. There must be a certain dynamic for a group of four to get along. This is rare. How many couples can consider another couple their besties? There is a certain formality that comes with couple/ couple relations. Big groups of couples and singles make it much easier to connect because there is less pressure for a couple/ individual to conform.

Besides a smattering of close friends I've collected through my years of life, and a close group of girls I meet with on a weekly basis to share creative goals with, I am pretty friendless. Oh! That sounds so bad, but it so beautifuly true.

There is one friend in particular, my best friend if I had to assign a label, that has been one of the greatest friends, and person for that matter, that I have ever met. I have not spent more than a day with her in over 5 years, but when we are together there is not a moment of explaining to do. It just works. And that is a gift I value, and will cherish forever.

AND. OMFG. she arrives in PDX in less than 24 hours.

Thought of the Day: Let the good times roll.



No comments:

Post a Comment