Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Frustrating Thing About the Modern Short Story Is That They Are Just Too Damn Long

I purchased the Atlantic today as I was unable to find the New Yorker. However lucky for me, the title read "Fiction 2011."

The titles of most of the stories were one syllable - sweet, short and too the point. However, unfortunately for the reader, the stories were far from the efficient. Well-executed blips and blurbs is what I am accustomed to in the blog world. No. Unfortunately, people and homes and lives are described ad nauseum in these "stories", making my own repetive mind and life seem new and interesting. For I am, as is perhaps a new generation of readers- like a fish- every seven seconds I forget everything I know and and my brain refreshes and I repeat old useless thought patterns.

A joke I know. But such is the nature of things.

Tip of the Day: Forget everything you know to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment