Monday, March 28, 2011

Mindful Monday :: letting go of attachments

I've been thinking about my attachments today. As much as I would like to think I am free of them, I am not convinced that I am.

Most people are attached to their:

1) Things
2) Habits
3) Thoughts
4) Identity/ Way of being

An awareness of your attachments in these four areas is the first step towards detachment.

The next part is hard; you actually need to start detaching.

Detaching from things is easy, is perhaps
the easiest, but not without it's difficulties.

The art of detaching from thoughts and habits requires continual effort.

And last, but not least, detaching from an outdated identity is not only frightening for the self, but frightening for loved ones and friends.

Thought of the Day: what are you most attached to?

1 comment:

  1. Just to play Devil's Advocate here:

    Why should we detach from these tings?

    I can understand getting rid of our attachment to things and bad habits, but why detach from our thoughts and identities? Aren't they the very things that make me ME?

    ReplyDelete