Monday, June 13, 2011

Blazing Your Path

When I was in college my best friend and I organized a huge celebration for Cinco de Mayo as part of our involvement with Alverno College's Hispanic Women's Club. As we negotiated contracts, worked across departments within the college, designed fliers, organized a silent auction and advertised our event, I remember thinking that I was learning more about the real world through my involvement in extracurricular activities than I was sitting in my college courses.

As our event neared  it's launch date, we got word from administrative staff at the university that there was concern we had "gotten ahead of ourselves." There was a fear that our event would not generate enough interest, and that there would not be enough attendees to fill the auditorium.

I'll never forget Sister Joel Read's speech at a campus event a week prior to our event. The theme of her speech was that sometimes it's best to follow the road already traveled rather than blaze a new one.

I remember listening to her words in disbelief. Could this really be the progressive leader I had grown to admire; the one who innovated and implemented an entire new way of teaching and learning in higher education?

In the end, our event was touted as not only a success, but we were able to raise $5,000 for the Latina Resource Center.

Thought of the Day: Always create your own path; that's where things get interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment