Thursday, June 23, 2011

An Ode to Garlic

Oh, garlic, how I love thee.
You keep me satisfied; you keep me well;
Your smell keeps them all away.

Over the last 6 months I have developed a 4 bulb a week garlic habit.
Yes, that's right, a bulb habit. Garlic cloves are for sissies.
My initial garlic crush began about 5 years ago when one of my best girls served a dish of roasted garlic, warm Brie cheese and capers on stone wheat crackers at a dinner party.

I have re-created the dish over the years, but since becoming a fairweather vegan*(I know, I know the worst kind) and after learning about the pop-culture health benefits of eating garlic, have resorted to a simple no-nonsense version of the dish.

Basically, I cut a bulb in half, wrap it in foil and bake it in the oven for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. I then spread the warmed delight on a slice of bread, crackers or a pita. Since starting this habit about six months ago, I have not been ill once.

The purported benefits of garlic are as follows:

-Protects against certain cancers
-Protects the heart
-Increases blood flow and relaxes the blood vessels
-Has antibacterial and antiviral properties
-Allows only the ones that love you the most to get close enough to kiss you

Tip of the Day: Eat garlic daily!

*a word about fairweather veganism- I would love the be a die hard vegan because I believe eating mostly fruit, vegetables and whole grains is one the best things you can do for your health. However, given my Midwestern-slavic roots, genuine love for all culinary delights, and occasional "food swings," I find it necessary to sometimes break away from my usual daily vegan eating routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment