Sunday, June 19, 2011

getting out of the comparison trap

I sometimes find myself comparing myself to others. Whether I'm at work, or working on my own creative endeavors, I can get stuck thinking I need to be more like others. I start thinking that I should work on my writing more before I start blogging, try to build my own website, or be more agressive about networking, posting pictures, etc., etc. The problem is, this is not me, and these are not my strengths, at least right now. And, I'm a lazy motha f'er

This may sound crazy, but I am still figuring out and defining my own likes and dislikes. While these will undoubtedly change over time, for most of my adolescent and adult life I have been more concerned about the lives of others, rather than my own life. The problem with this is that I end up helping no one and feel miserable.

As I begin the process of defining my own damn personality, and learning how to be authentic and true to myself while still growing and finding authentic points of intersection with others, I am curious to see how my journey will progress and who I will meet along the way.

For much of our lives, we compare ourselves and aspire to become people that we are not. We cannot be everything to everyone. 

Thought of the Day: Be yourself, and see where that leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment