Monday, June 6, 2011

The Return

After a brief hiatus and a long, wonderful vacation, I am making a return. And while I could apologize or feel bad about my break, I don't. Instead, I feel renewed, with a rejuvenated voice.

Settling back into a Portland routine, after a long vacation has been comforting and annoying. Portland is so very beautiful when you are leaving, and only livable if you leave often, for extended periods of time.

While away, I raved about Portland, the beauty, the people, the DIY culture, the capacity one finds to create here. I told this to a good friend while walking around my old neighborhood in Spanish Harlem. As we walked along the cracked sidewalks, projects and the sad state of the manhattan greenery, she said, "yea, but at least here you can be an asshole. Sometimes I just need to be an asshole."

I guess I'm not an asshole. I don't think I ever was.

Thought of the Day: Some things don't change.

1 comment: